The Christian Society for Kinesiology and Leisure Studies (CSKLS) represents the very best Christian professionals around the world. Our awards program serves to highlight the accomplishments of our members and supporters. The people honored each year are recognized for their commitment to quality service. Each recipient serves as an inspiration to our membership. Nominees should embody the core values of the profession. They should demonstrate the highest level of performance in their job and a tremendous commitment and positive contribution to the CSKLS and its membership. CSKLS honors those who:
- Demonstrate competence, excellence and integrity in their respective discipline;
- Provide leadership in the profession, especially from a faith perspective;
- Create and enhance a sense of Christian community;
- Promote health and wellness including spiritual wellness;
- Increase environmental stewardship and care for God’s world;
- Encourage social and cultural unity and share Christ’s love to all people in our world.
Glen Van Andel Distinguished Service Award
The Distinguished Service Award honors a current member of the Christian Society for Kinesiology and Leisure Studies (CSKLS) who has provided extensive meritorious service both inside and outside the organization. The honoree is a member who is recognized as a leader in the Society, who has worked to enhance and advance CSKLS goals, and has earned the respect of fellow-members through extended dedication to the Society. Significant contributions to the growth and support of CSKLS are characteristics identified with this recipient. As a spiritual leader, the honoree has consistently demonstrated a Christ-like heart in both personal and professional actions.
- 2014 - Dr. Dickie Hill, Abilene Christian University
- 2013 - Dr. Margaret Hothem, Gordon College; Dr. John Byl, Redeemer University College, Canada
- 2012– Dr. Valerie Gin, Gordon College
- 2011 – Dr. Jim Gustafson, Messiah College
- 2010 – Dr. Dale Connally, Baylor University
- 2009 – Dr. Paul Heintzman, University of Ottawa, Canada
- 2008 – Dr. Bud Williams, Wheaton College
- 2007 – Dr. Tom Visker, Bethel College
- 2006 – Dr. Glen Van Andel, Calvin College
The Literary Award honors members of the Christian Society for Kinesiology and Leisure Studies (CSKLS) or non-members who have demonstrated the integration of faith writing into one of the disciplines represented in the Society. Incorporating Christian faith into a profession is recognized as a service to God and a blessing to our society. The honoree has produced writings that contribute to the advancement of kinesiology, leisure, sport, and wellness and also has met high professional standards. Christian beliefs and principles held by CSKLS have been confirmed through the author’s work.
- 2014 – Dr. Karl Johnson, Chesterton House Inc.
- 2013 – Dr. Melicia C. Whitt-Glover, Gramercy Research Group
- 2012 – Dr. Nick Watson, York St. John University, England
- 2011 – Dr. Gervais Deschenes, University du Quebec a Chicoutimi
- 2010 – Dr. Glen Van Andel, Calvin College
- 2009 – Dr. Peter Walters, Wheaton College
- 2008 – Dr. Don De Graaf, Calvin College
- 2007 – Dr. Paul Heintzman, University of Ottawa, Canada
- 2006 – Dr. John Byl, Redeemer University College, Canada
The Presidential Award recognizes those who have displayed actions compatible with the mission of the Christian Society for Kinesiology and Leisure Studies (CSKLS). Honorees have made specific contributions that provide valuable support toward the goals of CSKLS. Either through long-term participation or as a first time contributor, recipients have provided outstanding assistance that aids CSKLS in meeting its objectives. The current president of CSKLS awards this honor and it is open to members, non-members, groups, and organizations.
- 2014 – Dr. Jim Gustafson, Messiah College
- 2013 – Dr. Sue Walsh, Concordia University Chicago; Keith Walsh, Willow Creek Community Church
- 2012 – Dr. Glen Van Andel, Calvin College
- 2011 – Dr. Don Lawrence, Azusa Pacific University
- 2010 – Dr. Dale Connally, Baylor University, Calvin College
- 2009 – Dr. Dickie Hill, Abilene Christian University
- 2008 – Dr. Dale Connally, Baylor University
- 2007 – Dr. Julie Walton, Calvin College
- 2006 – Dr. John Byl, Redeemer University College